Thursday, 13 November 2014

Our Senses

Today, we started learning about our senses. This is part of our Grade 1 Health and Science curriculum as well as the Grade 2 Health (Growth and Development) curricula.

I've been thinking this lends itself to inquiry and hands-on learning for quite awhile. Last year, I simply read a book and maybe did some labelling activities. It was totally boring!

Last night, I made a booklet for my students to record their observations from the provocations I will set out next week. Today, we read a book on the EPIC! app (which is free for educators and has a plethora of amazing books - great for read alouds!). We read "My Senses Help Me" by Bobbie Kalman (Crabtree Publishing Company). The publisher has also provided a book for each of the 5 main senses in the free teachers' edition of this app.

 Senses - Primary Unit - Inquiry and Hands-On Learning

Today, students wrote the names of the 5 main senses in their booklet then labelled the sense organs. They're absolutely loving this booklet!

 Senses - Primary Unit - Inquiry - Hands-On Learning

 Senses - Primary Unit - Inquiry - Hands-On Learning

I can't wait to set up these provocations (lists of ideas for which are also included in this product). They're already loving mashing up leaves with my mortar and pestle.

 Senses - Primary Unit - Inquiry - Hands-On Learning


No comments:

Post a Comment